Saturday, June 6, 2009

What kind of God do you have?

I am working on a Custom album for a customer and it is an album that she will give to her Dad. So the album is shaped to spell the word D-A-D and there are 4 more pages after the letters.

As I was working on it, I was thinking of my own Dad. He and my Mom are coming to visit in 20 more days and they will be staying with us for a couple of months. That is such a wonderful thing. they get to spend time with our children and we, the parents, get some needed time off.

NO, I don't take off for a week and leave my children behind. I just can't do that. I will probably leave for a couple of hours, go somewhere with my precious husband, and call a couple of times to check on my babies. :) Yes, I am that type of mother.

Anyway, I was thinking of my Dad. And I was thinking about how he does not like to go to my church because of the way my Pastor preaches. Pastor Saylor is a very polite and calm man, but once he is up on the pulpit he will get passionate about certain things and he will begin to holler (that is what people call it down here in the South for raising your voice and being boisterous and loud.).

Anyway, my Dad does not like that. He gets disturbed and annoyed by such behavior. Well, you would think that my Dad is a very poised and gentle voiced man. Ha! Much on the contrary, he has Italian blood and that man can be very loud. Actually he is very loud all the time. In our house, growing up, if you came in, you would think we were fighting and having arguments all the time because of the way we talked.

So I was thinking why is my Dad annoyed by how passionate my Pastor is, if he, himself, is a passionate man? I will give you a moment to think about this.

ok... so what was your answer?

This is the answer that came into my brain as I was meditating about this and talking to Jesus about it. The reason my Dad does not like all that hollering on the pulpit is because of the way he views God.

My Dad believes there is a God. From what I recall since I talked to him last about God, he believes God is up somewhere and he does not get involved with us. He, God, has left us to make our own choices and decisions, and He helps those that help themselves. If you are a Bible believing Christian you know that is just NOT what the Bible teaches us about God.

Maybe my Dad also believes that God does not get passionate about things or people. Maybe it's not polite to get passionate. Maybe God is very different from himself and He will not holler and lose his composure. Maybe emotions are not spiritual at all. Maybe God has no emotions whatsoever.

As I was pasting paper onto the album, I thought how much I am putting of myself into that album. How much has God put of Himself into us? Can't we usually tell the writer by his books, or the painter by his paintings, or the architect by his buildings? As an avid scrapbooker, I know who the scrapper is by looking at a finished layout. I can easily recognize Irene Tan, or Toni AKA 2dogs, or Queenofnostalgia' s artwork.

Maybe my Dad is afraid that God is actually very much like him. Would that make God less God in his head?

I received Christ as my Lord and Savior in 1993. After all these years walking and living with Him I have come to realize that my thoughts, actions or words do not stop God from loving me. That I have nothing to be ashamed of, as His creation. He, as my Creator, has poured of Himself into me and He loves me.

I have come to realize that my God will do for me as I believe Him for. He will answer to my trust and expectancy, just like we parents answer to our children. When we know our children want something, we may delay it for a while for whatever reason, but in the end we will find a way to bless them with that.

Although life and the devil try every day to break my trust and believe in my God, I stand firm and say that my God is good and He loves me with my emotions and passions, for I take after my Heavenly Father.

So, what kind of God do you have? :)

No comments: